APNIC Member Meeting (and NC/AC election)

Friday 9 September 2005, Melia Hotel, Hanoi, Vietnam

Meeting commenced: 9:00 am

Chair: Paul Wilson

The Chair opened the APNIC Member Meeting. He thanked the Gold sponsor, VNPT, and the three Silver sponsors for today, JPNIC, KRNIC of NIDA, and TWNIC.

The Chair noted that there would be an NC election in this meeting, with voting to take place from this point until the end of the lunch break.

The Chair noted that there will be a lucky draw for someone who has filled out an evaluation form. There will also be another lucky draw provided by Nominum.

The Chair explained the role of the APNIC Member Meeting and noted that for the first time the AMM would include a panel discussion. The panel will discuss the implications of the current global Internet governance forum on Internet addressing.


  1. Panel session - Internet governance: What does it mean for IP addressing?
  2. APNIC status report
  3. APNIC Executive Council report
  4. ARIN report
  5. LACNIC report
  6. RIPE NCC report
  7. AfriNIC report
  8. NRO NC / ASO AC election procedure
  9. Report on the ASO AC
  10. Policy SIG report
  11. Database SIG
  12. DNS operations SIG report
  13. IPv6 Technical SIG
  14. NIR SIG report
  15. Routing SIG report
  16. IX SIG
  17. APOPs
  18. PGP BoF
  19. Spam BoF
  20. ICONS BoF
  21. MyAPNIC demonstration
  22. APNIC 20 attendance
  23. NRO NC / ASO AC election result
  24. Lucky draw
  25. Next meeting
  26. Other business
  1. Panel session - Internet governance: What does it mean for IP addressing?

  2. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    The presenter introduced the session and welcomed the panel members: Raúl Echeberría, LACNIC; Geoff Huston, APNIC; Akinori Maemura, JPNIC IP Department and APNIC EC; Phet Sayo, UNDP-APDIP; Robert Shaw, ITU; Mohammed Sharil Tarmizi, ICANN GAC and MCMC.

    Raúl Echeberría, LACNIC

    This presenter noted that the Internet governance discussions have provided new methodologies for considering Internet issues. He described his first experience of working within the UN forums and how it was a different environment from what he was used to. He noted that the process has highlighted the need for openness and transparency in these discussions.

    Under the Geneva principles, any kind of governance should be open, transparent, democratic, and with the full involvement of all stakeholders.

    As the WGIG discussions began, it became clear that Internet governance is about more than just domain names and IP addresses. Issues such as human rights, freedom of expression, and participation of all stakeholders became very important in the discussions.

    The presenter noted that the chairman of the WGIG had stated that the Internet is working and is working well. Many different views were discussed in the WG, from many countries and many different sectors.

    The presenter explained the discussions which took place focussing on the need for equitable access to resources, especially IPv6.

    One of the most controversial issues discussed was the oversight process and the concern that no single government should take a central role. Although there was general agreement with this principle, there was no agreement on how the oversight role should be constituted.

    There was a proposal to create a global forum to provide the missing coordination between the various organisations involved in Internet governance.

    The presenter concluded by stating that the multi-stakeholder approach should be the model for future governance structures, especially to ensure that important developmental needs are met.

    Geoff Huston, APNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter noted that this is an exciting time to be working in this industry, as it is undergoing so much change and development. The presenter described the process of progressive deregulation of the global communications sector. However, he noted that despite the deregulation, there is still a strong, ongoing need for the public sector to play certain regulatory roles. This raises the question of what would be the appropriate model for public sector bodies to be involved in regulation.

    The presenter suggested that while the RIRs represent the industry, critics point to the lack of public sector involvement in the RIR forums. He suggested that there are certain scenarios that involve serious questions of justice and fairness and highlight this weakness. He argued that there is a need to ask how the global communications industry should reflect the private and public sectors. Nevertheless, he cautioned about the role of international institutions, which are trailers rather than leaders, conservative rather than revolutionary, and slow to move.

    The presenter suggested that the WSIS forum is a way of readdressing the questions of the digital divide.

    He also noted that many see that the Internet happened could not have happened progressive deregulation.

    There is no single set of desired policy outcomes. Achieving fairness and balance is a challenge.

    The presenter concluded that there are no easy answers and that WSIS will not be an end in itself, but that he looked forward to the challenge.

    Akinori Maemura, JPNIC IP Department and APNIC EC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter discussed the need for management of IPv4 and IPv6 address space. He explained the need for IP addresses to be shared by all people all over the globe. All users should be able to get no less, nor no more, than they actually need. This requires that all IP address registries should have homogenous, consistent, and coordinated policies. To achieve this, it is necessary for the registries to have technical expertise.

    The challenge to APNIC is to provide services to a variety of economies with different languages, degrees of development, and Internet deployment levels. The presenter described the technical and linguistic resources that have been developed within the APNIC Secretariat.

    The presenter also described the importance of the NIRs, which are able to provide better in-country services in local languages with a close relationship to the local industry. He noted that the level of governmental involvement in NIRs can vary considerably. This again raises the need for a harmonised policy environment.

    In summary, the presenter argued that IP address governance is vital for sustainable Internet development; the APNIC region is diverse, but APNIC is well resourced to serve it; and finally the NIRs also play a valuable role in ensuring fairness across the region.

    Phet Sayo, UNDP-APDIP

    The presenter noted the work done by UNDP-APDIP through the Open Regional Dialogue on Internet Governance (ORDIG) initiative.

    The presenter explained the outcomes of the WGIG process, including the development of a definition of Internet governance. He stressed that Internet governance includes more than names and numbers.

    ORDIG conducted subregional consultations, an online forum with 180 participants, and an online survey. This process has been summarised in two major reports, which are available online.

    The presenter explained that that ORDIG adopted the WGIG principle that "governance�" does not mean "government�". Government does have a role, but that role is still to be defined. Preservation of cultural diversity is important, especially in developing countries. Infrastructure issues and logical issues are also considered.

    The presenter reviewed the results of the survey. DNS and IP address management emerged as the issues that produced the most polarised views from the respondents, although they were at the bottom of the list of issues that respondents felt needed more attention.

    The survey found that there is a persistent perception of unfairness in the IP allocation mechanisms. This raised sovereignty issues and considerable debate on the appropriate way to manage address resources.

    Robert Shaw, ITU

    The presenter explained his background in the industry and his role in the ITU. He noted the desire of the ITU to continue building strong relationships with the RIRs and the NRO. He noted that the ITU actually predates the UN. He described the roles of the various sectors of the ITU.

    The presenter noted the increasing amount of work that that the ITU is now involved in with IP networks. He then explained the background to the WSIS process. He noted that the response to the Internet governance discussions that arose from the WSIS forum. He explained the problems of agreeing on a definition of Internet governance, and emphasised the significance of the sovereignty issues that have accompanied these discussions. The presenter noted the time constraints to which the WGIG was subject.

    The presenter discussed the implications of Internet governance on IP addressing. By looking at the history of communications regulation, it is clear that the world is currently in a period of great change (although he suggested it may not be correct to suggest this is all about deregulation).

    The presenter noted that there is a lack of coordination between technical and policy issues. However, it is a fallacy to suggest that simply creating a new coordinating body will solve all of these problems. There remains a great challenge of defining the nature and process of coordination.

    Questions of fairness and balance are at the heart of Internet governance discussions. With current governmental and regulatory paradigms shifting, these are impossible questions for governments to answer today.

    Mohammed Sharil Tarmizi, ICANN GAC and MCMC

    The presenter explained the regulatory role of the MCMC in Malaysia. He also noted his role on the Board of ICANN and the Government Advisory Committee.

    The presenter discussed how every Internet organisation in the world seems to be discussing the issues of Internet governance and everyone seems to have a separate view of what governance means. Even people from within the same government may hold different views of governance.

    Governments around the world, especially in the developing world, have often been very active in bring the Internet to their populations. There is a range of different experiences about this and it is hard to find the balance between national and international interests.

    The presenter suggested that the awareness of technical issues appears to be increasing at the government level. He expressed his belief that the Internet works well and is efficient. Stability and reliability of e-commerce is an increasingly important concern.

    The multi-stakeholder concept is widely practiced in this region. The public sector frequently consults the private sector before taking decisions. The presenter suggested that this cooperation is vital. He argued that the correct role for the public sector is providing the framework or environment for the private sector to put in the investment.

    The presenter encouraged the audience to visit the GAC web site and familiarise themselves with the GAC's work.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was noted that while the ITU has a rich history, the system of national monopolies and technical colonialism has produced an "analogue divide�". It was asked how we avoid repeating these historical mistakes. It was suggested that politics and human nature may not change, but economics has changed and infrastructure costs are much lower than historically. Whether it is cheap enough for developing countries to establish ubiquitous infrastructure remains an open question.
    • It was noted that technical colonialism still exists and presents challenges for political life. It was also noted that the Internet was over-hyped in the 1990s and had not emerged as the ultimate medium. It was suggested that the mobile phone has in fact grown and developed faster and wider than the Internet. There needs to be even greater commoditisation of the Internet to make it cheap enough for a broader consumer market.
    • It was explained that in the late 1990s, Malaysia recognised the coming impact of the Internet and dissolved all existing telecoms and broadcasting laws to produce a converged framework.
    • It was stated that despite the need for stable governance, there must remain the room for continuing technical developments and improvements. There was a call for government and governance groups to include more engineering people to be involved in technical collaboration.
    • It was suggested that the experience in the WSIS and WGIG forums has been that governments are showing an increasing understanding of the need to include more technical input with their political considerations.
    • It was argued that governments do have a role, but it can be observed that many of the complaints about governance have been about things such as mismanagement of root servers, poor communications policy and so forth. The challenge is to minimise the effects of bad governance and ensure that the least damage can be done and the best outcomes attained.
    • It was suggested that the Internet communities were happy to receive considerable funding from governments in the early days, but they have mixed feelings on what actually counts as governance in many different sorts of technical and policy issues.
    • It was argued that public institutions are most comfortable reflecting common accepted wisdom. Bad governance may occur when radical steps are sought. Therefore asking governments to be leaders becomes problematic, so it may be better to encourage horizontal communications and informed decision making rather than guesswork.

    [Break 10:50 - 11:15 am]


  3. APNIC status report

  4. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This presentation reported the current status and activities of the APNIC Secretariat. The total membership growth is accelerating and APNIC now has approximately 1,100 members.

    IPv4 allocation rates are also healthy. APNIC has already allocated more IPv4 than for the whole of 2004. China, Japan, and Korea all feature highly in the current distribution of IPv4. The presenter also displayed a global comparison of IPv4 allocations, noting that AfriNIC now appears in these statistics.

    It is still early in the life of IPv6. The majority of APNIC's IPv6 allocations have been to Korea, Australia, and Japan. However, the presenter noted that with future large allocations, the distribution of IPv6 across the region may change quite rapidly.

    ASN allocation rates remain linear and represent a relatively small amount of ASN deployment compared to other parts of the world.

    The APNIC Secretariat now has 45 staff and is at a stable level.

    The Helpdesk has been busy deploying new services, such as the Live Chat service, which has been well received. The Helpdesk also extends across some local public holidays to provide better service coverage. The presenter noted that to date the Helpdesk telephone support has mostly been used by Australian members, but the current testing of VoIP services may change this.

    APNIC has recently hosted staff from CNNIC as part of the ongoing staff exchange program.

    The Members Services department has been working on some policy implementations recently, including "de-bogonising�" new /8s and launching the ICONS ISP support web site. ICONS arose in response to calls from the community to provide a better information and support resource to operators. The Secretariat's role in ICONS is to facilitate community involvement in sharing experience.

    Sanjaya has now been appointed as the Technical Services Manager, as George Michaelson has moved into more research and development work.

    MyAPNIC is undergoing continued development, including the recent launch of the online voting facility and other work to make it faster, particularly in low bandwidth environments.

    Policy implementations currently underway in the technical area include IPv6 IRR support and production of assignment statistics. Internal developments have included a very effective greylisting process to reduce spam.

    There have been recent root server deployments in India. The presenter displayed a map of root server deployments throughout the region.

    Anne Lord has been appointed as the Communications Director. Some of the work in this area has included strategic development and contact management. There have been new MoUs established with ISP associations throughout South Asia and increased involvement in operator forums in the Pacific region. Apster 15 is now available. The presenter encouraged feedback. Translation support is continuing. The APNIC website and mailing lists now have RSS feeds. There have been recent multimedia projects including a meeting documentary and more flash presentations.

    The presenter noted the work done by Miwa Fuji in organising APNIC 20 in the absence of Vivian Yang who is on maternity leave. He also congratulated Arth Paulite on the recent birth of his first child.

    The APNIC Training Team has held 20 events for this year and has participated in many workshops, in collaboration with other experts such as Philip Smith. There has been increased involvement in training at other meetings in the region.

    The presenter provided an overview of the current budget situation. He noted that exchange rate effects have helped to make revenues 4.5 percent above budget. This is subject to change as foreign exchange rates vary. The total financial situation is being continued in a way consistent with the EC's requirement to maintain a one-year operating surplus.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  5. APNIC Executive Council report

  6. Akinori Maemura, EC Chair

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This report summarised the role and recent activities of the APNIC EC. The presenter introduced the members of the Executive Council. EC terms are two years and the office holders on the EC are elected for one year.

    The presenter noted that eight meetings have been held to date in 2005, including one teleconference and two face-to-face meetings.

    The EC confirms the monthly and semi-annual reports that are presented at EC meetings.

    One of the roles of the EC is to endorse policy proposals that reach consensus through the policy development process. The presenter briefly noted the policies endorsed since APNIC 19: one to publish address assignment statistics and the other to extend the large space IPv4 trial in Japan.

    The EC has also been involved in discussions about Internet governance, and APNIC's relationship with ICANN, the ASO, and the NRO. The presenter noted that work on the ICANN NRO contract and the NRO incorporation is ongoing.

    The presenter described the relationship of the EC to the NRO NC and the communication process that has been put in place.

    The EC recently made a decision to discount IPv6 per address fees, in response to concerns that the one-off fee was too high in the case of large allocations and may have been hampering IPv6 deployment. Other discussions are ongoing to develop a better fee structure to replace per address fees.

    The EC approved the use of online voting for the first time. There was a trial vote earlier in 2005 and MyAPNIC was used formerly for the first time at this meeting in the NRO NC election.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  7. ARIN report

  8. Ray Plzak, ARIN

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and current resource status of ARIN.

    ARIN currently has 2,336 members. The presenter displayed the membership distribution.

    Several members of the ARIN Advisory Board, the ASO AC, and staff are present at this meeting.

    The presenter provided statistics of the helpdesk load and template processing at ARIN. He also gave a breakdown of resource allocations distributed across membership categories.

    The presenter noted that ARIN has granted requests for emergency temporary allocations to support relief and rebuilding efforts in New Orleans. This was achieved quickly, but within normal policy requirements.

    The presenter detailed various activities of the ARIN departments. ARIN has updated its web site with improved navigation and code compliance.

    The presenter briefly noted the recent policy developments in the ARIN region.

    The ARIN XVI meeting will be held in Los Angeles from 23-28 October 2005, in conjunction with NANOG 35.

    Questions and discussion

    • The Chair thanked the presenter for his focus on RIR collaboration on NRO activities and Internet governance activities.


  9. LACNIC report

  10. Raúl Echeberría, LACNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and resource status of LACNIC.

    The presenter reviewed the current allocation statistics for LACNIC. IPv4 allocation demand is continuing to grow. LACNIC has for the first time requested additional allocations from IANA. LACNIC is now administering four /8s.

    LACNIC now has 290 members and the membership growth rate remains positive. LACNIC has entered a formal agreement with the Mexican national registry and is in the process of doing the same with the Brazilian registry.

    LACNIC is leading work in promoting the deployment of IPv6 in the region, as part of LACNIC's support for technology development. Part of this work has included the "IPv6 Tour�", which to date has had 1,000 participants at five meetings. LACNIC has suspended all fees related to IPv6 initial allocations.

    The presenter gave an overview of IPv6 allocation statistics. While allocation levels are still low, the growth in demand raises optimism for IPv6 deployment in the region. Most of the newest allocations are being advertised on the Internet and appear to be based on commercial interests rather than research and experimentation.

    The presenter described the FRIDA program for funding research and development projects in developing nations.

    LACNIC and NIC Brazil are entering into a new cooperation agreement for the outsourcing of services. LACNIC is moving into new facilities in 2006. LACNIC has published a newsletter, which will have three issues per year.

    LACNIC IX will be held from 22-26 May 2006, at a venue to be announced.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  11. RIPE NCC report

  12. Axel Pawlik, RIPE NCC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and resource status of RIPE NCC.

    The presenter briefly noted policy developments in the RIPE region, especially the launch of a new Policy Development Process.

    RIPE NCC is making progress in the development of eLearning and will launch an online portal in November. RIPE NCC has also updated all of its training material and has extending its outreach activities.

    RIPE NCC is the operator of K-root, which has recently been deployed as anycast mirrors in Delhi and Miami. There will now be new research performed to determine whether there is still a need for more root server deployments.

    The presenter gave an overview of the DNSMON project, which monitors TLD and root servers.

    RIPE NCC is continuing to conduct regional meetings to better serve some of the more remote areas of the RIPE region.

    The presenter noted that the RIPE NCC is now analysing the results of a major survey, which will be reported at the next RIPE meeting. RIPE NCC is also involved in work on its own corporate governance. Over the past year, RIPE NCC has changed the terms of its contract and the majority of its members have now updated their memberships to the new terms.

    The RIPE 51 meeting will be held in Amsterdam from 10-14 October 2005.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  13. AfriNIC report

  14. Ernest Byaruhanga, AfriNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    This presentation summarised the recent activities, policy developments, and resource status of AfriNIC.

    AfriNIC is the newest RIR, which received official RIR status in April 2005. It serves parts of Africa previously served by RIPE NCC, ARIN, and APNIC.

    The second AfriNIC meeting was held in Mozambique in April. The presenter reviewed the issues that were dealt with in that meeting. AfriNIC 3 will be held from 11-15 December in Egypt, with the AfrIPv6 event.

    The presenter described the recent training events that have been conducted by AfriNIC. Training is conducted in English and French.

    AfriNIC has joined the NRO, has elected it ASO AC members, and is participating in the WSIS discussions and other Internet governance forums.

    AfriNIC has 38 new members since taking over memberships from the other RIRs.

    The presenter provided an overview of resource allocation statistics, noting that the new allocation policies are now more in tune with the African business environment and are leading to an increase in allocation rates.

    The presenter gave an overview of the policies currently under discussion in the AfriNIC region.

    The AfriNIC staff is slowly growing and AfriNIC is continuing to participate in the RIR staff exchange program.

    The presenter noted that Adiel Akplogan could not attend this meeting as he has just had his first child.

    Questions and discussion

    • The Chair also noted that one of the AfriNIC staff members will work at APNIC soon as part of the RIR staff exchange program.


  15. NRO NC / ASO AC election procedure

  16. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    • There is one vacancy on the NRO Number Council.
    • The Chair explained the procedures for the election of the NRO NC position. He noted that the NRO NC performs the role of the ASO AC.
    • He thanked Takashi Arano for his long service to the AC and explained that he will be leaving the AC at the end of this year.
    • The Chair explained the voting entitlement in detail, discussing online voting, proxy voting, and individual voting.
    • The list of candidates was displayed. The candidates are Toshiyuki Hosaka, Kenny Huang, and Xianjian (Eugene) Li.

    [Break 12:40 - 2:05 pm]

    The Chair announced that the ballot box was now closed.


  17. Report on the ASO AC

  18. Kenny Huang, ASO AC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter named the current members of the ASO AC representing the Asia Pacific region and explained he composition and role of the AC. He then discussed the background to the establishment of the NRO and explained that the NRO Number Council now serves as the ASO AC.

    The presenter explained the other activities of the ASO AC, including its role in policy development, selection of the ICANN Board of Directors, and progress on its work plan for 2005. The ASO community is currently considering the global IANA IPv6 global allocation policy.

    The ASO AC is pleased to welcome new representatives from the AfriNIC region, since the formal recognition of AfriNIC in 2005.

    The presenter gave details of the AC meeting schedule. Current issues under discussion by the AC now include:

    • Response to the ICANN strategic plan
    • Advice to ICANN Board on the WGIG report, gTLD policies, and competitive IPv6 allocation policies
    • Development of global policies.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    [Break 3:25 - 4:00 pm]


    The Chair described the role of the AMM in reviewing the reports and recommendations arising from the SIGs.

  19. Policy SIG report

  20. Kenny Huang, ASO AC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter reviewed the SIG agenda, and noted that the SIG was attended by 66 people in the first section and 86 in the second.

    He reviewed the consensus items and recommended actions arising from the SIG. There were three policy proposals in this SIG, although one was split into two parts:

    [prop-005-v005] IANA policy for allocation of IPv6 blocks to RIRs

    This was a proposal to to change the way that IANA makes IPv6 allocations to RIRs, such that:

    • Each allocation should be sufficient for an 18 month period
    • RIRs with less than /12 unallocated address space are eligible to receive an allocation from IANA
    • RIRs are to receive additional IPv6 space when their available space is less than 50 percent of a /12, or when their available space is less than their requirements for the following 9 months.

    [prop-031-v001] Proposal to amend APNIC IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement policy

    This was a proposal to add a /56 end site allocation point (in addition to /64 and /48); make the default end site allocation for SOHO end sites to be /56; base evaluation for subsequent allocations on an HD-ratio of 0.94; and base end site allocation size HD-ratio calculations on a /56 unit.

    This proposal was split into two parts, part one relating to the modified HD-ratio and part two relating to the /56 assignment point. The HD-ratio achieved consensus in the SIG but the second part, relating to the /56 assignment point, did not.

    [prop-029-002] Proposal for discrete networks and national peering

    This was a proposal to permit large ISPs to manage multiple country accounts under a single APNIC membership using the concept of multiple discrete networks. Unde this proposal there could be country-based network accounts and service-based network accounts. This proposal did not reach consensus at the SIG.

    The presenter briefly described the other issues discussed at the SIG, including:

    • Alternative address allocation algorithm for IPv6
    • Resource recovery policy - implementation update
    • RIR policy development update
    • LIR survey results
    • IP address space transfer between existing Taiwan LIRs
    • Large IPv4 address space Usage trial for Future IPv6

    The presenter also noted that Eugene Li was appointed as co-chair of the Policy SIG. He then reviewed the open action items.

    Questions and discussion

    • The AMM Chair asked for a show of hands on the consensus outcomes from the Policy SIG. He described the policy development process.
    • There was a show of hands on [prop-005-005] IANA policy for allocation of IPv6 blocks to RIRs. The Chair noted that consensus was reached to adopt the recommendation of the SIG.
    • There was a show of hands on [prop-031-001] Proposal to amend APNIC IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement policy, part one, regarding the HD-ratio. The Chair noted that the level of response was low, but there appears to be consensus to adopt the recommendation of the SIG. The Chair reminded the audience that this is not the end of the process and that there will be the opportunity for further comment on the mailing list before the proposal is referred to the EC.
    • There was concern expressed about separating the discussion of the HD-ratio from the /56 assignment unit.
    • However, it was noted that during the SIG, the HD-ratio was put to the SIG in relation to end sites, not in relation to any particular assignment unit.
    • The Chair noted that it is difficult when proposals are split in the meeting, but again encouraged discussion of this proposal on the mailing list over the next eight weeks.

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the SIG Chair.


  21. Database SIG

  22. Xing Li, CERNET

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter reviewed the agenda of the SIG and reviewed the action items, which are now all complete. There was only one agenda item in this SIG, an informational presentation updating the status of the Secretariat's implementation of previous policy decisions.

    The presenter noted that the content of the Database SIG appears to be getting lower each time.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the presenter.


  23. DNS operations SIG report

  24. George Michaelson, APNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter conveyed the SIG Chair's apology for being unable to attend this meeting. He briefly described the agenda and the review of the open action items.

    The DNS SIG reached consensus to proceed with the proposal to deprecate ip6.int [prop-030-001].

    The presenter described the informational presentations, namely:

    • Lame DNS policy status update
    • Scaling the DNS - discussions.

    Questions and discussion

    • The Chair called for a show of hands on [prop-030-001] Deprecation of IP6.INT reverse DNS service in APNIC. The Chair noted that consensus was reached to adopt the recommendation of the SIG.

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the presenter.


  25. IPv6 Technical SIG

  26. Kazu Yamamoto, IIJ

    Presentation [pdf]

    The SIG Chair provided a summary of the IPv6 SIG, noting that it was attended by approximately 50 people. There were no action items.

    The presentations were all informational, including:

    • IPv6 allocation status report
    • Current activity on research and development of IPv6 products in Japan
    • IPv6 distributed security
    • JPNIC IPv6 registry service experience.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the presenter.


  27. NIR SIG report

  28. Izumi Okutani, JPNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The SIG Chair noted that the SIG was well attended with around 30 participants, including several non-NIR members. She then described the agenda of the SIG and noted that this SIG needs to have more time allocated in future, as most of the NIR status updates were not able to be presented.

    The presenter noted that the SIG contained a detailed explanation of the NIR per address fee schedule. She noted that the EC has recently decided to discount NIR IPv6 per address fees by 90 percent and also discussed the details of the proposal [prop-028-001] to abolish the per address fees.

    The SIG reached general agreement that there is a need for long term restructuring of the NIR fee schedule to replace the per address fee.

    The presenter discussed the action items from the SIG.

    The presenter returned to proposal [prop-028-001]. The per address fee is charged only to NIRs and is based on the size of allocations received. She provided examples of how the fee operates, noting that for large IPv6 allocations the fee is very high, which presents problems for LIRs requesting space through the NIRs. NIRs currently pay annual membership fees and one-off per address fees.

    The APNIC EC recently provided a 90 discount of the IPv6 per address fee for allocations based on existing IPv4 infrastructure. However, there was concern that this still left a complicated fee mechanism. Therefore, the proposal was to completely abolish the per address fee. The presenter explained that the per address fee has a minimal effect on the APNIC budget and could be removed entirely without harming APNIC's financial position. The presenter noted that this proposal is intended as a temporary measure until the fee structure is completely revised.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was noted that the per address fee may be high, but the number of addresses in the large allocations is very high. There was a discussion about whether the fee savings would be passed on to the members of the NIRs.
    • There was a clarification of how the infrastructure is considered when the NIR makes requests on behalf of its member.
    • It was suggested that the per address fee should not be abolished until a long term solution is found for the fee structure. However, it was argued that the bigger review could take a long time and in the meantime the NIRs need to operate under a complicated fee structure.
    • The Chair called for a show of hands on the proposal [prop-028-001] Abolishing IPv6 per address fee for NIRs. The Chair noted that consensus was reached to adopt the recommendation of the SIG.

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the SIG Chair.


  29. Routing SIG report

  30. Philip Smith, Cisco

    Presentation [pdf]

    The presenter explained the agenda of the Routing SIG.

    The informational reports were:

    • Auto-detecting hijacked prefixes
    • AS consumption patterns
    • APNIC resource certification
    • Determining "Tier 1" status through ASPATH analysis
    • Deployment of IRR in JP and routing security
    • BGP flap damping: Where now?
    • Allocation - announcement: How long before prefixes are used?

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  31. IX SIG

  32. Philip Smith, Cisco

    Presentation [pdf]

    The presenter of the SIG explained the SIG agenda, noting that there was a disappointing response to the call for content. The presenter expressed thanks to JNAP for their regular support of this SIG. Following the main agenda, there was an informal discussion on IPv6 address assignment management at IXPs.

    The presenter encouraged all those with an interest in IXPs to considering taking part in the next IX SIG.

    The SIG Chair described the informational presentations:

    • BDIX and npIX update
    • JPNAP update
    • VNIX update
    • EuroIX.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  33. APOPs

  34. Philip Smith, Cisco

    Presentation [pdf]

    The presenter noted the IX SIG originally emerged from the APOPS BoF. There were about 15 attendees this time, but only three agenda items. Nevertheless, the discussion did manage to fill the allotted time, with a SANOG update, a JANOG update, and a presentation on trivial Internet weaknesses and possible solutions.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    The AMM Chair presented a gift to the presenter.


  35. 18. PGP BoF

  36. George Michaelson, APNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter explained that the PGP BoF had only four participants and so was held informally. It was suggested that there is a need to promote this session better in the future.

    Questions and discussion

    • It was noted that PGP and APOPS should not be scheduled in conflict.
    • It was noted that it would be more useful to provide PGP tutorials.
    • The Chair encouraged community members to make such suggestions when the calls for content are made at future meetings.


  37. Spam BoF

  38. Suresh Ramasubramanian, Outblaze

    The presenter noted that attendance was fairly low and the participants agreed that it might be more useful to include this content in tutorials next time. He provided general overview of the discussions.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  39. ICONS BoF

  40. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    The presenter explained that the ICONS BoF was designed to get feedback and raise interest in the new ISP portal. Attendance was quite low, so there will be more effort to raise interest in this subject at the next meeting.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    The Chair declared the microphone open and called for any other discussion.

    [Break 3:30 - 4:00 pm]


  41. MyAPNIC demonstration

  42. Sanjaya, APNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The presenter described the latest work on the MyAPNIC application. Most of the recent work was motivated by feedback from users that the current version is not fast enough and needs improved page layout, with quicker access to the most-used functions.

    The new version, which is now in test, will transmit smaller blocks of HTML data and users faster compression technology. The HTML code has also been optimised, images have been reduced, and there is better use of CSS layout. A hierarchical menu has also been introduced. Most of the compression features will only provide benefits on newer browsers.

    The presenter then gave a demonstration of the new site, highlighting the new features and layout. He noted that the new version should be launched within the next few weeks.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.

    Open microphone discussion

    • The Chair again invited any comments from the floor on any topics of interest.


  43. APNIC 20 attendance

  44. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    The presenter provided a breakdown of the meeting attendance, drawn from the registration statistics. He noted that most people now bring their own wireless network cards. Twenty-eight percent of attendees come from ISPs, 22 percent from RIRs, including APNIC, and 17 from NIRs. The presentation also includes a breakdown of attendees' organisational roles.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  45. NRO NC / ASO AC election result

  46. Paul Wilson, APNIC

    Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    There were 103 votes in total, two were invalid. 37 votes were cast online and the rest on-site. The successful candidate, with 57 votes, was Kenny Huang.

    The Chair thanked the scrutineers and congratulated the successful candidate. He explained that the EC will select a new NC member by the end of this year, to replace the appointed seat that Kenny Huang is now vacating.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  47. Lucky draw

  48. There was a draw for the iPod provided by Nominum, which is a Gold sponsor. The winner was Professor Qian Hualin.

    There was also a draw for the prize for completing an evaluation form. The prize winner was Coung Nguyen Xuan from VNPT.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  49. Next meeting

  50. Presentation [ppt | pdf]

    The Chair reminded the audience that APNIC 21 will be hosted in Perth, Australia, with APRICOT 2006, 28 February - 3 March 2006. Once again, some fellowships will be available for those who need help to attend.

    The Chair announced that a formal call for proposals will soon be made to host APNIC 22.

    Questions and discussion

    • None.


  51. There was a prize for the winner of the APNIC web hunt, from the newcomers orientation. The prize went to Zarre Omar from Access Telecom.

    The Chair thanked all participants and congratulated all those involved in this successful APNIC Open Policy Meeting.

    The Chair then thanked the sponsors of today's meeting, VNPT (Gold Sponsor) and the Silver sponsors of today's session JPNIC, KRNIC of NIDA, and TWNIC. He also thanked the other sponsors of the week, including Nominum, VNNIC, Cisco Systems, VNPT, JPNIC, KRNIC of NIDA, and TWNIC.

    The Chair thanked the SIG chairs, the guest speakers, tutors and workshop convenors, RIR colleagues, the steno-captioners, and the APNIC EC and staff.

    The Chair presented gifts to all of these people he had just thanked.

    Finally, the Chair expressed special thanks to VNNIC for hosting the meeting and providing so much support and assistance.

    A representative of VNNIC thanked all the attendees and wished them a good time in Hanoi.

Meeting closed: 4:30 pm

Minuted by: Gerard Ross

Open action items

  • None.

Minutes | APNIC Member Meeting


Last modified: | © 1999 - APNIC Pty. Ltd.
Contact us | Privacy statement