in conjunction with APRICOT 2013

Transcript - APNIC Global Reports


While every effort is made to capture a live speaker's words, it is possible at times that the transcript contains some errors or mistranslations. APNIC apologizes for any inconvenience, but accepts no liability for any event or action resulting from the transcripts.

Sunny Chendi: Welcome back and very good afternoon to APNIC members, ladies and gentlemen. This is Global Reports session.

Before we start the session, I'll just run through some of our APNIC Conference introduction or housekeeping notes.

First, we would like to acknowledge our local host supporters, sponsors, moderators and speakers who voluntarily agreed to help us out with the program, and also all of you here, and our remote participants as well for watching the webcast which is live.

We're using Adobe Connect, and the last two days we have been broadcasting video, audio, chat, and from this session onwards, we will be broadcasting the transcript as well. As you can see in the middle screen here, our stenos are wording up there, so you can read and understand what everyone is saying.

Any questions or comments, respect the diversity of audience we have here. So approach the microphone, say your name, affiliation is optional, if you would like to say so, and speak slowly. There are two reasons for speaking slowly: so our stenos can capture your words and you can read out on the middle screen here, as well as our remote participants also can read what you're saying.

Just points to remember: Please limit using acronyms, because we have a lot of newcomers here who are attending this Conference for the first time. They may not be familiar with all the acronyms, so try to spell out what it means.

You probably know where the session breaks are happening, so I don't have to go through that. We have a member lounge in the ballroom, which is next to the Tanglin, where you can enquire about our services, what we offer to our members and even if you have any other queries you can still approach and talk to our colleagues.

There is a prayer room available. You can approach the registration desk opposite to this room and they'll help you out with where it is and any access required to that. We have two, one for ladies and one for men.

Use of mobile phones: please, if you can, put them on vibrate or silent mode so it doesn't disturb the Conference.

WiFi, we have APRICOT if you want to do v6 connection, but please do not use APRICOT B. It's not meant to be used by everyone. It's just a back-up for our technical team to troubleshoot. Try to log in to APRICOT if you want to do v6, try to use the two WiFi connections there.

Just for the information of speakers, if you are presenting in APNIC 35 Conference, please upload your slides 90 minutes before the presentation. We can then have your slides ready on the screen here, and we can present them to the remote participants as well, so our remote users can also watch your slides, what you are presenting.

You can go to the APNIC 35 Conference website. You have a program and upload section there. It's very easy to use. If you have any issues, let me know and I'll look into it.

Just on health and safety, this is part of our APNIC Secretariat as well as we bring that to our Conferences. In case of emergency, just make sure where the exits are, and I have a map up there where you can go. Basically get out of the lobby into the front yard and then there's a car park which is marked with the red. You end up there when you exit.

If you are feeling unwell, these are the medical services that Shangri-La recommend.

This presentation is on APNIC website. If you need these numbers, you can access it later as well, even the emergency hotlines.

Thank you, and we hope you enjoy the APNIC 35 Conference which starts from now onwards, from this session onwards, until Friday. I pass over to Sanjaya, who is moderating the Global Reports session.


Sanjaya: Thank you, Sunny. So this is the session where we will share information from the global community and regions outside of the Asia Pacific. I'm pretty sure there are some interesting reports coming up.

We'll start with the report from the NRO. Paul, as the Chair of the NRO for this year, will provide a report, followed by myself reporting on the NRO statistics. Then after that, Fujisaki-san will provide a report from the ASO Address Council, followed by Elise from ICANN doing the IANA update, followed by the other RIR reports.

Unfortunately, AFRINIC could not participate this time, so it will be ARIN with John Curran, LACNIC with Arturo Servin and RIPE NCC by Axel.

Without further ado, Paul, if you could do the first one, please. Thanks.

Paul Wilson: Thanks, Sanjaya and thanks to you all for being here. I'm Paul Wilson, the head of APNIC and I'm going to be talking today about the NRO and just bringing you the latest news from the NRO, including a customary explanation of what the NRO is.

Most people would probably have heard this before, but it's sort of important that newcomers and everyone understands what function the NRO plays, because it's fairly important. It's the Number Resource Organization. It's the vehicle that represents the RIRs collectively together for our representation and cooperation among the five RIRs.

We call it a vehicle. It's actually not a company or an incorporated body, it's a legally informal lightweight unincorporated type of association, but it was established by an agreement among the RIRs, going on for 10 years ago.

There's a number of reasons to have this thing. One is that the NRO can serve as needed, can protect and take charge of the unallocated number resource pool which is currently in the hands of the IANA. That's a sort of historical reason and insurance policy, I suppose, if you like, against the possible need for someone to take that over under some circumstances. Glad to say it has never arisen.

The NRO also represents the bottom-up policy process that all of the RIRs share. It acts as a focal point for input into the whole RIR system. Often people who don't particularly know us well are interested in accessing the global system, and the NRO is the way to do that. The NRO also fulfils the role of the ICANN Address Supporting Organization, which has a very defined role within ICANN in relation to global number policy, IP address policy development.

The NRO has what's called an Executive Committee, one from each RIR, and it currently includes the heads of five RIRs. There are three office holders. Decisions are by unanimous agreement of all of the RIRs. So since the NRO is representing all of us, it really doesn't do anything that any of the RIRs disagree to, and that's fairly important. A bit of a challenge, but a necessary one for the way that we have decided to operate.

The NRO does quite a lot of coordination these days between the RIRs in quite a number of different areas. For quite a few years, we have had coordination on engineering activities and projects, communications activities, separately public affairs activities which are things like governmental and inter-governmental relations, and registration service managers which is an operational group of the registration services managers for coordination of our operational responsibilities in those services.

That does not extend to policy. Policy is absolutely the purview and the responsibility of the regional community forums.

In 2013, we rotate the formal office holder positions every year, so it's my responsibility this year to act as Chair. Adiel has become the secretary for AFRINIC. RIPE NCC has Axel Pawlik serving as the NRO's treasurer. The Secretariat is hosted by AFRINIC. It also rotates and carries some operational responsibilities.

I mentioned the ASO before, and there can be a bit of confusion between the NRO and the ASO. The ASO is very specifically something that operates within the ICANN bylaws. When ICANN was established, it set up a system or a structure of supporting organizations which would take responsibility for interfacing into ICANN from different areas. One of those areas is the IP address space, so the Address Supporting Organization fulfils that role.

If you want to know precisely what the ASO does, that is documented in the ICANN bylaws. But a couple of important things it does is to channel any global address policies into ICANN. It also is responsible for appointing two directors to the ICANN board and to various other committees and to provide advice within certain bounds, if needed, by ICANN.

There are 15 members of what we call the ASO Address Council. There are three members from each region, and in the APNIC region, we have Naresh, Tomohiro and Andy. Would you mind, if you're here, any of our AC members, giving us a wave?

No, I guess there are parallel sessions going on and they are not here. I think they understand the NRO and the ASO by now.

If you come from another region, you may already know about your AC address council representatives. They are all listed here.

The NRO -- back to the operational coordination amongst the RIRs. One of the things that the NRO does is it provides funding to ICANN. We make a contribution to ICANN that is in support of ICANN and ICANN's activities. We make that voluntary contribution annually to the tune of $823,000 at the moment.

The first bullet here is about actually a general issue, not specific to the ICANN contribution, but it is the formula by which the NRO shares any expenses, including that ICANN funding contribution, which is a major part. What we have is a weighted formula against the RIRs which gives each RIR a percentage share, depending on their annual budget and the amount of activity in IPv4 allocations. That's a chosen and agreed formula that magically produces these percentages.

For the APNIC region, of interest to you may be that we're currently funding 37.5 per cent of NRO expenses. So that's 37.5 per cent of the $823,000 plus various other NRO expenses that we incur.

The slides helpfully are bouncing backwards and forwards between the NRO and ASO. One of the NRO activities, as the umbrella for the ASO or the source of the ASO, was to conduct a review of the ASO, or to commission a review -- it was conducted independently -- of the ASO. This is sort of old news. It happened in 2011. It was reported in 2012. There was a comment period and a response from the ASO and that was published in 2012 as well.

What's going on at the moment, though, is implementation of a number of recommendations about how the ASO should function, and it is the NRO that's implementing those recommendations. That is all documented on the ASO and on the NRO websites, if you'd like to take a look.

There has been only one new global policy in recent years, and that was this one on post-exhaustion mechanisms for IPv4 allocations from the IANA. This again has been going for a while, but it was ratified by the ICANN board in the last year, in May 2012. That allows IANA to re-allocate any IPv4 addresses that are returned to it, because with the exhaustion of the existing IPv4 pools, they actually didn't have a sort of policy or any guidance about how they would re-allocate any returned addresses. So they now have exactly what they need in order to do that.

The NRO has been very involved with Internet governance, a topic which came up quite a bit in the Opening Plenary of APRICOT yesterday. We feel ourselves very much involved and in the spotlight of Internet governance because, although that is a very wide field, critical Internet resources are a very important and quite prominent part of that field and, within those, IP addresses are also important.

The Internet Governance Forum meets every year. The last meeting was in Azerbaijan. The next meeting will be in Bali in Indonesia, and that for us in the Asia Pacific region is quite important.

The NRO contributes and participates quite actively in workshops, both in proposing and helping to organize workshops, also in appearing on workshops, whether organised by ourselves or others, and almost always in the area of IP address management, multi-stakeholder process, Internet governance and our role.

One of the aspects of the IGF structure is the Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group, which is a very diverse group of stakeholders from the community, stakeholders representing different types of stakeholder groups. There are a number of technical community stakeholder representatives, including myself, Raul from LACNIC and Paul Rendek from RIPE NCC. We all have the pleasure and the responsibility of going to MAG meetings and trying to help or helping to steer the IGF and its content.

There is a fair amount of engagement by the NRO in the IGF process as an organization as well, so we have an open -- we have contributed to consultations on the IGF to working group and IGF improvements that happened last year. Within the sphere of the OECD as well -- and I think one topic I'll mention is about the contribution to the IGF from the NRO. There is a bit of a record of correspondences that we made during 2012 for the NRO here. I won't go into those. It's a sort of record of what we were doing during the last year, but there is a URL here,, where you can find this correspondence and anything else that the NRO has done right back through the last 10 years.

Very quickly, other developments: this is the last slide, but an important one. In other developments, the NRO is very active in coordinating amongst itself and also more and more these days in coordinating with the other group of Internet organizations or a group of the other Internet organizations, including Internet Society and ICANN and IETF and IAB. We had a very useful retreat with that group here in Singapore last week. We also had an NRO EC retreat.

There are a number of things that came out of those meetings, some of which are yet to be announced. But a few of them here which I can mention are the appointment of an executive secretary to the NRO. It's fairly carefully considered, that one, because it's the first staff position that the NRO has had and that's a full-time position that will help to coordinate all of the coordination that we do.

We agreed to increase the IGF contribution from the NRO to $100,000 a year. That will continue. It's not a promise forever more, but it's for the time being. While the IGF needs this sort of support, we feel it's extremely important that the IGF has some support that represents our involvement and stakeholding in the IGF process.

We have two new coordination groups. The Registration Services Group that I mentioned before has been elevated to a formal coordination group; and even many RIR staff won't have heard yet that we have an IPv6 Coordination Group which will kick off as well, and that's a more formalized activity to coordinate the ongoing IPv6 activities that we have, mostly in terms of training and explanatory materials and supporting materials and so forth, because we do have a heavy and ongoing demand for this.

We also will be ramping up the coordinated project management of the RPKI projects. Those projects have come along very successfully, steadily and solidly in each of the five RIRs. What we need to do is bring them together and lay out some more public milestones, and you'll be hearing about those in due course.

That's it from the NRO. I hope that there might be time for questions and answers, but I assume that will come later on, so thank you.

Sanjaya: Thank you, Paul.

Now I would like to give you an update on some statistics of resource distribution coming from the all five RIRs. This is the data as of 31 December 2012. As you can see, the combined RIRs have been delegated 133 /8s. The distribution between the five RIRs can be seen at the bottom of that slide.

RIPE NCC last year hit their last /8 condition. I'm pretty sure we'll hear some more from Axel later on, so this is the current IPv4 stock status in all the five different regions. RIPE and APNIC have now less than one /8.

In terms of IPv4 distribution, because APNIC, who are predominantly still growing really fast in the past three years, but then we ran out in 2011, then APNIC no longer, as you can see, distributing large amount of IPv4 in 2012; and RIPE, since they have hit their last /8, then next year you could probably see the same level of activity as APNIC this year. This is how much we have distributed to our members out of the stock that we have.

ASN. RIPE has been pretty active in distributing ASN numbers, followed by ARIN, as usual. It's also interesting that LACNIC has very -- you can see the up-trend in LACNIC. Last year they have distributed almost the same level as APNIC has.

This is the portion of AN numbers that have been delegated to the RIR customers. The majority is RIPE NCC at 26,000, followed by ARIN at 24,000, and then the other three regions. What about 4-byte ASN? As we know, 2-byte ASN is also running out, so the RIRs have been promoting the use of 4-byte ASN and, following the overall trend, RIPE has been distributing a lot of 4-byte ASN, followed by APNIC actually and LACNIC. This is the 4-byte ASN distribution by all the five RIRs. RIPE has been really good at deploying their 4-byte ASN.

IPv6 address space. I think we'll continue to see up-trend in IPv6 take-up. It's interesting again that LACNIC has actually last year distributed more number of allocations of IPv6 to their members, more than APNIC. In total, RIPE has made more than 5,000 IPv6 allocations to their members. ARIN is 1,943, very similar to APNIC at 1,941 allocations, followed by LACNIC and AFRINIC.

IPv6 assignments is when an RIR makes an assignment not to a provider but to an end corporation, end user. This is showing also a bit of an up-trend, but 2012 is seeing a bit less of that compared to 2011.

It's interesting to see that ARIN actually makes more end user assignments than RIPE NCC, up to now. This chart shows the percentage of members that have both v4 and v6 in each RIR. RIPE is doing well, with 56 per cent of their members having both v4 and v6, followed by LACNIC at 52.33 per cent, followed by APNIC at 44.44 per cent, and ARIN and AFRINIC at 36 and 34.8 per cent.

For more information, please feel free to visit these URLs. Thank you. That's all from me.

Okay. So the next update would be from Tomohiro-san on the ASO Address Council report. Thank you.

Tomohiro Fujisaki: Thank you, Sanjaya.

My name is Tomohiro Fujisaki and I'm ASO member from APNIC region. Here I speak on Address Council report.

This is about the ASO Address Council, we are the NRO Number Council and the number resource advisory body for ICANN. We consist of 15 members, three from each region. In these three members, two are elected in committee and one member is appointed by the RIR board. Our terms are two years for the elected members and one year for appointed members.

Our responsibility is to manage global policy and select ICANN board members and also to select ICANN NomCom member and advise ICANN board of IP address issue. Our meeting is monthly teleconferences and one face-to-face meeting.

This is our members this year. At the beginning of this year, we conducted the Chair election and we selected Louis Lee from ARIN as our Chair. This year, Naresh Ajwani from APNIC and Alan Barrett from AFRINIC is our Vice-Chair. This year we have two new members in the LACNIC and RIPE region.

Then I explain about the recent activities. After APNIC 34, we have six teleconferences, four regular teleconferences and two special meetings for ICANN board selection. In these meetings, we discuss many topics. This is main topic, global policy management. Currently we don't have global policy discuss in RIRs, but if we have new, we can -- we have the policy proposal facility team to manage the new global policy. From APNIC region, I joined this team.

This is just for your information about the global policy for post-exhaustion. As Paul mentioned, this is already sent to the ICANN board and now under implementation in ICANN. In ICANN, public comment was conducted from the last year and the data result is published on the ICANN website. If this policy is effective, each region will receive about /10 IPv4 address.

Next topic is ICANN board selection. This is also our main job. Currently, ICANN board seek selection is ongoing and this time we have five candidates and two countries in APNIC region and now we are in selection phase. Original schedule is here, but the schedule is a little bit delayed, but we will announce the winner soon.

This is our operating procedure discussion. Actually, we often discuss to improve our operating procedures. In this period, we introduce electronic voting to improve our decision making and now discussing the document destruction procedure to protect the privacy information of the ICANN board candidates. We'll publish this document soon.

This shows ICANN related activities. At last ICANN in Toronto, our Chair made a presentation on ASO activities and policy update and we had some meetings with ICANN board and GAC. At the next ICANN meeting we will plan to have the ASO face-to-face meeting.

Upcoming ICANN meeting this year, ICANN 47, will be held in South Africa. From APNIC region, I will attend the meeting. ICANN 48, this is in South America, Naresh will attend this meeting.

About the ICANN NomCom appointment this year, we appointed Hartmut Glaser, NomCom member from ASO/AC.

This shows our review of ASO/AC from last year. From this URL you can refer to our last year activities. I not explain in detail here, but if you are interested in what we did, please refer this URL.

This is the last topic, the work plan for this year. This year, we have to complete the appointment process for the ICANN board seat No. 10, tracking of global policy proposal, if any, and appoint members to other ICANN groups if required. As I mentioned, we already appointed NomCom member and we appointed ICANN deputy member. We also continually discuss update to ASO AC procedure and debut of global policy development process.

Other activities, including the meeting minutes and many documents referred to from the URL, if you have interest, please visit our website. Thank you very much.

Sanjaya: Thank you very much, Fujisaki-san.

Next up is IANA update from Elise, please, thanks.

Elise Gerich: Hi, everybody, I'm Elise Gerich from ICANN and I'm the VP of IANA. Did you all watch the Academy Awards last night? I'm just really glad I didn't trip and fall on the steps like the winner. That was kind of funny.

So what I wanted to do is remind you all that there was RFP out by the United States Government for a new IANA operator and we are the new IANA operator. We're also the old IANA operator. So we won the bid for the IANA contract in June 2012. That contract began October 2012. It is a three-year contract with two possible two-year extensions. So ICANN will continue to be the IANA operator and serve you for IP addresses.

One of the things that we are doing is reaching out to the community at large. You can't read this, I'm sure, but that's all right, I'll have detailed slides later. There will be several public consultations. One of the public consultations that we completed in December with the posting of the summary of the feedback was a consultation about how to implement the post-IPv4 exhaustion global policy that all of the RIRs agreed upon and sent to the ASO as a global policy.

So the report and the summary of the consultation and the feedback was posted in December. Basically, what we heard from everybody is for the implementation you'd like a separate registry to be created, but you wanted to be able to query from a single interface that registry or the other IPv4 registry which is not the recovered IPv4 address pool.

We asked how people wanted us to allocate the IPv4 addresses once the trigger is reached and the idea was most people really didn't seem to care much, but in fairness, it seemed like we should have some software so there wasn't any human deciding who got which block of what addresses, and so there will be some software that we'll develop that will just go out once the trigger is reached to divvy up the addresses as per the global policy.

One of the other consultations that is current right now -- and you have till February 28, so that's two more days, I think, to respond to it -- is about performance standards that you'd like to see that are related to the IANA functions assignments and allocation of Internet number resources. So that's up on the ICANN website and if you have any feelings or preferences or responses, we certainly welcome all comments. I think there's only three so far. It's been up there for quite a while.

Sanjaya: Elise, just a quick comment on this one. The NRO is preparing an input to this consultation, so hopefully we'll submit before 28th.

Elise Gerich: I hope everyone heard Sanjaya. He said the NRO is preparing a submission for all of the RIRs. But that doesn't mean that you as individuals are prohibited from making a comment. We welcome everyone who uses the IP addresses to make a comment, if there's something you want to say.

Then the other consultation that I think might be of interest is that we have one that also closes February 28, called the customer service complaint resolution process. This process that we have posted right now is based on conversations we had with the community, your community included, in 2006 and is called the IANA escalation process. So the names only changed because part of the contract said that we should have a customer service complaint process, so we changed the name to be consistent with the contract.

That's posted also on the ICANN website and the IANA website, and we do welcome any comments that you might want to have to the existing process to improve it or to modify it in some way.

One of the other things that we're quite involved with as the IANA is the key signing ceremonies for DNSSEC. I don't know if many of you were here earlier for Geoff's presentation, but I'm one of the three dinosaurs in the room that doesn't use online banking. Unless you use DNSSEC all the way and have a full chain of command of trust, you too might be at risk, so use DNSSEC and put it out there on your resolvers, et cetera. You'll recognise some of these faces, I think. I see Dimia there and he's also in the photo.

We have trusted community representatives that attend each key signing ceremony. This is to make sure that the community understands the significance of DNSSEC as well as the fact that it's an open and transparent process of setting the keys. So for every key signing ceremony, we have people who are not ICANN staff, people from the community, from the RIR community as well as the TLD community, that come and participate in these key signing ceremonies.

One of the other big activities during the year is EFQM, which is the European standard for quality management. This is to help us improve our processes and procedures within the IANA department, just to improve overall. We started in 2010. That arrow that's going up in the air shows that our scores on the formal testing of your quality has improved year over year. We had a really big jump in 2011 to 2012 where we improved our score by 48 per cent. We had a smaller but not insignificant jump from 2012 to 2013 which was about 11 per cent.

This is a very structured program with a very formal way of scoring and it has helped us to focus on areas where we can see that we can make big gains on improvement. So we are very happy to be participating in this.

At the last ICANN meeting, we had a small session with several other groups within the ICANN community that are also following EFQM. One of them is AFRINIC from France and Nominet and they also are using the EFQM standard. I think APNIC just started ISO qualifications, which is another kind of quality management program.

Finally, my last slide almost, we have two new staff, we have Daline Khenlani and Paula Wang. Daline is going to be working particularly in the DNSSEC area of the IANA functions and Paula is one of the folks who is going to primarily help with domain name requests. So those are two new people, new faces.

Finally, do you have any questions?

No, actually, I'd like to ask a question of this group, because the IANA function doesn't really give out many numbers any more. You know, you took all our v4. You know, you gave a few back, but basically you took them all. We don't have that to talk about. IPv6, you haven't been asking for very many of those recently, so I don't have that to talk about. There are a few ASN numbers every now and then, but it doesn't seem like anyone cares to hear about the ASN numbers.

Is the type of information I shared today the type of information you're interested in? Would you prefer not to hear anything unless it's really traumatic? I really don't want to just talk so that you see a talking head up here. So if you have any suggestions on the type of information that you'd like to see in an IANA functions presentation, you can find me in the hall, you could raise your hand now, but we're really open to trying to make sure that these presentations are meaningful to you.

No takers? Okay. But let me know later. Thanks very much.


Sanjaya: Thanks, Elise.

I'm pretty sure the community here would really appreciate any update IANA can give us, even though you ran out of IPv4. But, hey, very soon we might get the return IPv4 distribution starting. It will finish in two months, maybe.

Anyway, John Curran, ARIN update.

John Curran: Good afternoon. Thank you for having me. I'm John Curran. I'm the president and CEO of ARIN, the American Registry for Internet Numbers. I'm going to give you a brief update, so you understand what we're doing in the ARIN region. Hopefully that will help in understanding developments.

2013, so far focus has been getting ready for our IPv4 depletion and IPv6 uptake. We still have addresses in the region, so obviously this is very relevant because we haven't gone through the phase that APNIC has already gone through. We have a depletion plan that covers the phasing during our run-out, sets certain conditions for how we process requests as we get to the end, very similar to that which APNIC developed and that which RIPE developed, actually, as you both saw the run-out.

We're preparing for that. We're continuing to work on our online system and integrating more functionality into it. We're phasing out legacy systems. ARIN has been around a while, since 1997. We have systems -- hopefully not that old, but we do have some old systems and we're phasing out some of the older ones and enhancing ARIN on line. We have been putting a lot of effort into RPKI resource certification. ARIN started a little slower in that. We had some legal work to clear. We wanted to make sure we understood exactly what we were saying with these resource certifications, but now we are past that and we have made great progress. I'll talk about that.

We're doing a lot with Internet governance. This is the year that everyone seems interested in the Internet, particularly governments and telecommunications operators globally. There's a lot of meetings that have been going on to talk about how it should be administered and so we tend to go to a lot of those.

Inventory: we still have inventory. We have currently, if you look at the ARIN web page, we have currently 2.69 /8 equivalents in the available pool. This does not count the equivalent of seven /16s which have been returned, revoked, and are currently in hold and will be issued into that available pool shortly. That does not count the one /10 that was reserved for the NRPM, our policy manual, 4.10 dedicated IPv4 block for facilitating IPv6 deployment.

We still have space. It is dropping. People ask me when. It's very hard to know. It only takes one or two requests to go through quite a bit of inventory. I'm told the current estimate on Geoff's website puts us in 2014 in the middle. That would be right. It could be later. All really depends on some very large organizations and when they come in for their next block.

This is looking at 2012, and it says "Requests" on the far left side. That's actually equivalents, not requests, equivalents in /24 blocks. So if you actually look at IPv4 assignments going out the door and allocations to ISPs, assignments to end users, the assignments are light blue, the allocations are dark blue. You can see that we're issuing quite a bit of space to ISPs, this was in 2012, and when a very large request comes in, we can have a huge spike, as you see we had in May and in September. So those are the things that really draw down the address space. It's significantly more than what we issue to end users. We only need a few more spikes like that and we will be right in the same scenario as everyone else.

In IPv6, I just want to point out we are seeing significant interest, both by end users and in ISPs. This is in requests, this particular graph, because trying to map comparably /48s against /42s or better show a very small line. So in terms of total requests that were issued, you see the number of IPv6 assignments to end users in light blue, the number of initial allocations to ISPs in dark blue, and we see a steady stream of interest in 2012. We did see a spike in June, something to do with World IPv6 Launch Day I imagine, so that's good to help get the news out.

Members: we have about 4,200 members and, of them, about 58 per only have IPv4 right now, about 36 per cent have both IPv4 and IPv6 allocations. That's good. We do have a small number that are IPv6 only, and I scratch my head at that. I wish them good luck with their business model. I hope it works, whatever it might be. But hopefully we'll get this so everyone has v4 and v6, as more of the IPv4 community come in and pick up their blocks.

Policies: we'll talk about recently implemented first. We have recently implemented two major changes to policy, ARIN 2012-5. We removed the renumbering requirement for small multihomers for IPv4. If you initially received an IPv4 block as a multihomer, our policy when you got a larger block would have had you turn that in and renumber. We have decided at this point that's not productive.

Then ARIN 2012-7, reassignments for third-party Internet access over cable. There are some parts of the globe where providers of Internet services have to re-sell the incumbent infrastructure, and that happens to be a case in part of the ARIN region and the problem is that you can get into a situation where you have allocated all your addresses to infrastructure you don't own and you have one POP fill up and you can't get another block from ARIN because you haven't met the total utilization requirements. This re-arranges it and allows you to count as utilised the blocks that you have allocated to infrastructure, even across third-party infrastructure, before it's been assigned to an end-user customer.

Both of these have been adopted and actually implemented.

Recently adopted. We have had some changes in our policies for recently adopted that are in the process of being implemented. 2012-6 revising the critical --

I will slow down. I am from Boston. I speak very quickly. But I can slow down.

So, we have revised section 4.4, which is our critical infrastructure pool so that it's clear that that is for key infrastructure such as exchange points and for root server operators but not for gTLDs. The size of that pool is such that if it were to be suddenly used by a thousand different organizations, with new gTLDs it would be quickly depleted. There was a discussion of this in the community and this was adopted.

We aligned our transfer policies 8.2 and 8.3. 8.2 is our merger and acquisition transfer policy and 8.3 is our specified transfer between two organizations.

We had some constraints so that when you did a transfer, you couldn't subsequently immediately transfer the block again, effectively flipping address space, because if you had been requesting from ARIN address space and we assign it to you, we don't expect to see it immediately then after you have just told us how badly you need it, we don't expect you to immediately sell it to another.

We copied over the constraints from the 8.3 policy into the 8.2 policy. Those have been adopted and they're in the process of being implemented.

Policy proposals that are being discussed, we're discussing IPv6 subsequent allocations, utilization requirement, which would allow ISPs to request more space when their plans have significantly changed.

We're discussing a section 8.4 transfer enhancement which would allow inter-RIR transfers of ASNs if someone desired it. We actually have transfers of ASN within the ARIN region and have had several, a handful of them, transfer. Some of that has been record keeping. An organization had someone else use an ASN for some time and prior to the existence of a transfer policy, it wasn't clear if you could update that to another company. So there's discussion about whether or not that would be beneficial on an inter-RIR basis.

Then ARIN proposal 182, to update the residential customer definition not to exclude wireless as a residential service. Presently we have more generous criteria regarding address usage for residential, so that ISPs that have to serve a large area with cable or DSLAMs can do so. But it doesn't apply to wireless infrastructure per se. It applies to serving a residence which is presumed to be a single location.

There's discussion of whether or not that should apply to serving residential customers, even if they might be mobile; for example, your cell phone would make you a residential customer.

These are all in discussion and haven't been decided either way. You can go and get the text of the policy proposals at the ARIN website.

Inter-RIR transfers, we do have successful interworking with the APNIC region. For transfer of IP addresses and some of the blocks that have been available in ARIN, that organizations have renumbered out of or have successfully been able to not have to use by whatever process, they have been able to transfer to parties in the APNIC region. These are the blocks that have been transferred. They're on our website; mostly 24s, we have a couple of /18s that have been transferred recently, that's getting under-utilised address space, back into use by parties that need it in this region. In theory, it can go the other direction, but we're seeing it predominantly move this way right now.

Public facing development efforts, I just want to say we're doing a lot of enhancements, including we have rolled out hosted RPKI and we're seeing progress there; nowhere near the progress APNIC or RIPE has seen, but we'll catch up.

We're doing web based delegated RPKI. We're looking forward to doing the up/down protocol in the near future.

We're integrating payments. They have been somewhat disjoint from our online management system and we're going to roll that into ARIN on line. We now have rolled out extended statistics files that match all the other RIRs, making it easier for those who do post processing on how we're doing.

We're doing some work because we have had a change in our fee schedule, making it more uniform, so we're in the process of rolling it out this summer. We're doing an invoice calculator so parties can see how it affects them. We are working on automated invoices. As I said, the up/down work, and we're doing a database conversion inside our Oracle to Postgres conversion, which will keep us busy this year.

The only other thing I'll say is we have some upcoming meetings. ARIN 31 is coming up in April in Barbados. I'd love to see everyone. It is much like Singapore, a beautiful climate. We have ARIN taking place in October in Phoenix. That will also be a wonderful place to be.

One of the things to highlight: as people might be aware, ARIN and NANOG -- NANOG is the operator for North America -- we have actually taken now to doing public policy consultations on the policy proposals at the NANOG meetings. Even if you end up not going to an ARIN meeting, if you happen to be going to a NANOG meeting, you'll find a session on the agenda where we will be talking about some of the open public policy proposals to change our number resource policy.

These are some of the important meetings coming up. That's all I have. I'll take any questions if anyone has them.

Thank you for having me.

Sanjaya: Thank you, John.

Yes, I'm sure the APNIC community thanks the ARIN community for the successful IPv4 address transfers that's been happening. Six have been executed so far and I'm pretty sure there's more coming up. I think it's a very good example of how the RIRs can work together to support the Internet development globally.

Next up is LACNIC report by Arturo.

Arturo Servin: Hello. Following the recommendations: my name is Arturo Servin, I'm from LACNIC, I switch off my telephone, my mobile, and I will speak slowly.

This is the update. I try to be concise and quick, so it will be kind of fast.

There are some highlights. We have a new logo. We used to have a yellow and blue logo, now we have a very colourful one. I would like to explain the logo. The shape is like Latin America and the Caribbean. You can see Brazil, Mexico, the south of America. The colours, they are based on the fabrics from Peru, so we use those colours as the base of our logo and also the circles are like the big heads of the Olmec culture. I don't know if you have seen them, they are big heads rounded, so the logo it represents in some way Latin America.

The old one, there was just a circle there, with yellow and blue that probably somebody chose. Right now, the colours, the shapes and everything, they have some meaning. We presented this logo I think in September last year. So I'm not sure if you have seen it before or if it was presented here in APNIC. But that's the story of the logo and how we build it.

Also, we are 10 years old. We had our 10-year anniversary in Montevideo in October. We had a good celebration. We invited a lot of people recognised in the Internet community. Some of the founders of the Internet were there talking about the Internet and the challenges that we have and we are facing now to keep the Internet running as an open place for innovation and growth.

Also, we have new offices. Now we have a second building. It's just next to the other one. But we have a new place. Also, we are calling this the Internet hub of Latin America and the Caribbean because it's not only LACNIC's offices, also we have Clara, the office of the research academic network of Latin America. Also ISOC staff are working there. LACTLD also they have their offices there, it's like the APTLD, but in Latin America, the association of ccTLDs. Also we have LACIX. That is the Association of Internet Exchange Points, AHCIET telecom operators and we have eComLAC, the Association of ICT in Latin American region.

That right now is a very rich environment when we have the opportunity, all the different actors in Latin America, to talk about our challenges and how we are working together in building the new Internet in Latin America. It's a very nice place and a very good environment for collaboration.

Right now we are growing to almost 3,000 members. We are around 2800, I think. We are almost 3,000 members and we are growing. Mostly in Brazil, one of the economies that are growing a lot in Latin America. Also, we have almost 1500 IPv6 allocations. It's a bit more than the number Sanjaya showed, because that was the statistics for December. This number I got a few days ago. We are almost 1500. From those 1500 allocations, around 27, 28 per cent are already in routing table. There is still a lot of work that we have to do. Less that 27 per cent of the ISPs and organization they are really providing IPv6, so there is a big challenge that we have in Latin America.

In IPv4, well, we have two and a half /8s, a bit less also than Sanjaya said. I was doing the accounts and we probably use a quarter of a /8 in just three months, so this is running out fast.

I remember that last year we have three something, almost four and right now we have two and a half. So the number is running out. Now that I saw the number that John showed, probably we want to run out before them. I don't know, probably it depends. We don't have so large ISPs in the ARIN region, but we don't know. Hopefully it will last till the moment that we deploy more IPv6 in the region.

In RPKI, we have almost 100 certificates I think. That's around 40,000 /24s, that is a bit more than half a /8. We right now manage or we have allocated almost, well, a bit more than seven /8s. It's a good percentage, I think it's around 6, 7 per cent of our allocated space. We still have some challenges there. We need to connect our NIRs. They are still not certificate and space, so that's one of our challenges this year. Also, work well to do more training on RPKI and dissemination of the technology.

Then I run out of space for the circles. So this is more information. This is the Frida program. It is very similar to the one you have in APNIC. It's part of the Seed Alliance. Basically we give money to research, innovations and works. Also, APNIC and AFRINIC, they are working in the Seed Alliance. We have the call for research. I think they are already there, so we hope that there will be very interesting projects. In the past, there have been very interesting projects about how to develop the ICT in Latin America.

About our previous meetings, we had, as I said, our 10th anniversary in Montevideo in October. Also it was back to back to LACNIC, that is very similar to APRICOT, it is the Latin American group. Also we have very good technical presentation. Tomorrow we will talk a bit more about LACNIC and how it has grown in the last three years from 300 or 250 attendees to almost 500 in the last event in Montevideo.

Also, as I said, we have speakers, we have the policy forum, we have 11 proposals, I think we set a record at the time, we have never had 11 proposals in the policy forum. Only four reached consensus. Also we recognize and we give awards, prizes to the people who help to build the Internet system in Latin America in the last 10 years.

The proposals that reach consensus in the policy forum, the first one was about how to distribute new space, if IANA was going to issue more space, how we were going to use the space. The decision was to take that to the pool that we will use after we run out of IPv4 addresses.

Also, we update the policy about the end sites. There is a new RFC-6177, I think, so they update the policy according to the RFC. Also, we have a new policy about the IPv6 address allocation for blocks larger than /32. In the past, it was possible to request a large amount of IPv6. It was not very clear for the Hostmaster up to when to say that's too large, because the policy was not really very clear. So that is fixed now.

Also, there was an amendment in the policy for the initial requirement of IPv4 for end users. The modification was that end users, they need to have at least a /26 allocated by the ISP. But the community found that today it was very hard sometimes to get a /26 from the ISPs because they are trying to hold the IPv4 addresses. It was very restrictive for end users, so they modify the policy.

Our upcoming meetings, the next one is Medellin in Columbia from 5 to 10 May 2013. I haven't been to Medellin, but I have been to Bogota. It's a beautiful city and I have been told that Medellin is beautiful. If you want to go to our meetings, we promise that we will treat you well and you will have very good technical and content and policy and everything.

That's all. Thank you.

Sanjaya: Let's finish with Axel and then we can have a quick question and answer session.

Axel Pawlik: Thank you. Good afternoon. Somebody said it was warm in Singapore. It's cold. It's colder than Amsterdam, right now in here at least. Snow? Ice?

All right. A short update from the RIPE NCC Council of Numbers. At the end of last year, we had 8,760 members, which is great. It means that we had a significant growth event somewhere over the course of the year and I think it was sort of during the middle of the year when we were threatened with run-out of IPv4. Quite a bit of growth, still it's ongoing. In that sense, it's similar to what you have seen here in the APNIC region.

The financial result for last year, we budgeted for 0, again it didn't happen. More members came in to roughly 2.2 million, we are still closing the books right now. But it looked fairly good on the financial side. The fees, something magical happened, we had this complicated fee algorithm. We tried for two years to rework it in a way that everybody was happy and of course that is difficult with small members and big members and everything in between.

So somewhat to our surprise but great joy, at the last general meeting, the members decided to cut it out and make it simple, one fee for every member size, it's great, it's easy. Our accounting software loves it. We go on from there.

We have planned for this year against last year a budget increase of about I think 4 per cent if you look at the actuals of last year, it might even be 7 per cent, which is sounding a bit alarming. I'm happy to say the cost per member went down and that's something that we really are looking at that needs to happen all the time. But as you will see later on, there's quite a lot of things that our people have been working on, so, yeah, there's lots of work to be done.

Seeing that we are amassing quite a substantial reserve, which is good for operational purposes, also our fees have changed, so we thought we would have to proactively go back to the tax authorities because we have this very nice tax bill that we don't have to pay taxes on on our reserve, but to make sure that that remains the same, people have changed of course within the tax authority, they have a bit of concern and asked us to argue our way a bit, but generally it's still looking good and we don't foresee any great problems there.

Good. Addresses, yes, no more v6 addresses as of 14 September. I'm happy to say the run-out was rather organised. It was well organised. No last ditch efforts were done to do anything really weird from member side or from our side. So it went really well.

No uproar in the media or among the members about we should have told them earlier and stuff like that -- until now. People are waking up. "What? No more v4 addresses? Are you people crazy? You could have told us earlier. We urgently need them and where is your entire RIR transfer policy? Get one already."

Well, yes, it's in the works, it's in the policy development process, which takes its time. No, we need it now. Yes, speak up. No, we have so many people we can't send them all. What? I don't understand. In any case, we were getting some of those comments.

Also, we get interesting comments about the perception of we might have misled people into IPv6. You told us for so many years we should do IPv6. We have invested millions in IPv6 infrastructure. Now you do this transfer stuff. This is market based. Again, it's nothing new. It's all happening for years already.

So we need to do more communication. Of course we do some policy work as well which is good. We are seeing quite a bit of that now. Communications is essential. That is something that is very, very big on our agenda for this year. To the outside world, to the governments, regulators, to our members also and the wider community.

As everybody said something about certification, I'll do the same. It's there. It works pretty much. I don't know -- yeah. It looks quite okay. Up and to the right Internet type of curve of adoption in the RIPE NCC service region. We have quite a number of block certified, lots of ROAs out there, deployment, I wouldn't call it operational deployment, but people are certainly working with it and looking at it, which is great.

We also do regular, I don't like the word "webinars", online trainings, we have taped one -- or recorded one -- and it's on line and you see Alec talking about what you have to do. It lasts for about an hour, but it's quite nice to look at.

So as far as I'm concerned, certification is sort of operational. We are continuing, of course, development, as we speak. Just to give our members the utmost in terms of flexibility and, how do you say, independence from any specific ideas there might be, trust anchors, single trust anchors, multiple trust anchors, things like that.

There are a number of issues around policy certification that have come up or general policy issues. Now legacy address certification, in any case, legacy addresses, how do we treat them, can they be certified, under which circumstances will the RIPE NCC give services to holders of legacy space that are not yet members. There is an ongoing discussion, very nice, it is ongoing for a couple of years nearly, but now it's getting somewhere. That's a good thing.

PI space. We have heard that PI space needs to be certified as well. Now we don't have the closest of bonds with PI holders typically, so under which circumstances should that happen? And the other one is something that we discovered, certification for transfers or transferred blocks. We have an old transfer policy -- not old, it's there for quite some time. The intention of the others was clearly to, they say, have blocks certified that are transferred.

Our implementation is slightly different because of the last couple of years, two years or so, we have a very strong message from the community that certification should be opt in and nobody should be forced. So we slip it in between, we put it on the mailing list, and I think we are rapidly nearing resolving that issue. But there is lots of policy-wise discussion on those topics, which is very nice.

We have RIPE labs as you know. There are quite a number of articles out there. It's really rolling nicely now. Some of the highlights, finally, finally, my colleague Paul Rendek is quite happy, we do have statistics per country, that's something we always wanted but found somehow very difficult, now it's there, RIPE Atlas, our big new measurements program is rolling out what we call RIPE Atlas Anchors, basically concentrators, probes that are somewhat bigger and more capable than the tiny old ones. Also we are getting new tiny probes as well.

We have the last /8 policy and we do see now that a thousand of those /22s have been issued and we have the nagging feeling that it might be slightly different from the original intent of the policy where we said we have this last /8 sort of in reserve for new entrants to the markets, new ISPs that might be needing some v6 space. We feel that many of the people getting those might be referred to us by our old members who can't allocate to them any more because they don't have any space. Go and get your own space. Become a member and get your /22. That needs to be discussed a bit as well.

Right. Other stuff. Yes, the IP analyser, it's a tool, it used to be a very old tool. We just redeveloped it. Basically to give our members support in administration of their numbers and resources, finding the right sized holes for new allocations and stuff like that, flagging any inconsistencies in their data.

RIPE Stat is a tool for the general public to look into number resources from a huge host of different sources and again you can click, that's our address at the RIPE NCC. Have a look. It's nicely done graphically and quite intuitive also for the non-geeks, really.

The database software. We were running that for quite some time, many, many, years. We have totally rewritten it and last week, all the old code is out. All new code is in freshly. What was it? Three and a half people, three and a half FTEs have worked on it for the last 200 days on average 450 lines of code per day. That's quite a bit. I don't know. Looking good, in any case. Of course, we are happy to share that again with our friends from the other RIRs.

New probes. I mentioned that RIPE Atlas, new technology, the anchor pilot is out there and I think Robert will talk a little bit about that tomorrow, I think.

We have a membership survey being prepared. We have agreed last year that we would do them in step, in sync with the APNIC one on the same principle. John Earls is helping us with that and we are having the first set of focus group input on which we built the survey to be launched at the next RIPE meeting and we already see quite a bit of interesting information there. Lots of great stuff out there. I'm really proud of the folks at the RIPE NCC who have done all this.

What I did not talk about, although I'm also proud of that area, is the whole communications and outreach external relations. As you know, we have sent one staff member to Dubai to look after the Arab region. We want to do a similar thing for Moscow. The feedback I hear, certainly from the Arab region, was that was great, thank you very much, but we want much more. We're looking at that.

It is very useful to do.

Coming up, the next RIPE meeting. Of course, it will rain, it will be terrible, nasty weather, but the beer will be good. It's in Dublin in May, so you are all very welcome. After that, I think we go to Athens to balance the weather issue a bit. Then we might go to Poland, but that's a little bit early and then we will be back in Amsterdam again at the second meeting next year. But this one is first. You are welcome. Thank you.

Sanjaya: Thank you, Axel. We are of course watching with interest the membership survey that's happening in RIPE, because APNIC and RIPE actually work closely together in looking at each other's way of doing surveys and so on. Thanks to John Earls, who acts as a conduit within the two regions.

So we have three minutes left till the end of this session. Does anyone have any burning questions to the other RIRs or to NRO, ASO or IANA? IPv4 transfer maybe? ASN run out?

Nothing? Okay. Then thank you for attending this session. See you next time.