NRO NUMBER COUNCIL (NC) ELECTIONS 2021 - ABOUT
At the end of the nomination period, Di Ma was the only confirmed nominee, therefore, will be declared elected at APNIC 52. View announcement
About NRO NC Elections
Upcoming election at APNIC 52
The APNIC 52 Conference will include the community election for one seat on the Number Resource Organization Number Council (NRO NC) from the APNIC region.
The term of Aftab Siddiqui will expire on 31 December 2021. One individual from the AP region will be selected to serve on the NRO NC/ASO AC for 2 years from 1 January 2022 to 31 December 2023.
Any individual residing within the Asia Pacific region may be nominated, with the exception of staff members of any Regional Internet Registry (RIR). Self-nominations are permitted.
What is the NRO NC and why be elected?
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) negotiated between the NRO and ICANN called for the establishment of the NRO NC in October 2004. Under the terms of this MoU, the NC performs the role of the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC).
The NRO NC consists of 15 members, three from each of the five RIR regions.
Of these three appointees to the NRO NC:
- Two members are elected by the regional Members and serve a two-year term
- One is appointed by the Board of the RIR and serves a one-year term
View the current NRO NC members.
Duties of NRO NC members
The NRO NC performs the role of the ICANN ASO AC. This includes:
- Undertaking a role in global policy development.
- Providing recommendations to the Board of ICANN concerning the recognition of new RIRs
- Defining procedures for the selection of individuals to serve on other ICANN bodies
- Advising the ICANN Board on number resource allocation policy in conjunction with the RIRs
Planned meetings (usually via teleconference or face-to-face) include monthly NRO NC meetings, ICANN meetings, APNIC conferences, and participation in the Policy SIG.
Read more about the NRO NC.