NRO NUMBER COUNCIL (NC) ELECTIONS 2020 - ABOUT
Congratulations to Shubham Saran on his election to the NRO NC. He will serve a two-year term of office, starting on 1 January 2021 and ending on 31 December 2022.
The election results are available to view. Please note that the time stamp in the Poll Result refers to Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC +10) which is the time in Brisbane, Australia.
Many thanks to outgoing NRO NC member, Brajesh Jain, for his service to the community.
About NRO NC Elections
Upcoming election at APNIC 50
The APNIC 50 Conference will include the community election for one seat on the Number Resource Organization Number Council (NRO NC) from the APNIC region.
The term of Brajesh Jain will expire on 31 December 2020. One individual from the AP region will be selected to serve on the NRO NC/ASO AC for 2 years from 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2022.
Any individual may be nominated, with the exception of staff members of any Regional Internet Registry (RIR). Self-nominations are permitted.
What is the NRO NC and why be elected?
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) negotiated between the NRO and ICANN called for the establishment of the NRO NC in October 2004. Under the terms of this MoU, the NC performs the role of the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC).
The NRO NC consists of 15 members, three from each of the five RIR regions.
Of these three appointees to the NRO NC:
- Two members are elected by the regional Members and serve a two-year term
- One is appointed by the Board of the RIR and serves a one-year term
Click here for the current NRO NC members.
Duties of NRO NC members
The NRO NC performs the role of the ICANN Address Supporting Organization (ASO) Address Council. This includes:
- Undertaking a role in global policy development.
- Providing recommendations to the Board of ICANN concerning the recognition of new RIRs
- Defining procedures for selection of individuals to serve on other ICANN bodies
- Advising the ICANN Board on number resource allocation policy in conjunction with the RIRs
Planned meetings (usually via teleconference or face-to-face) include monthly NRO NC meetings, ICANN meetings, APNIC conferences, and participation in the Policy SIG.
Read more about the NRO NC.